Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Amazing Teachers!

I had the opportunity and privilege last week to attend a Veteran's Day Celebration at Holt Elementary and to hear the Lincoln Elementary Choir sing at the Kaysville Nativity Celebration.  I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of these great teachers and the fantastic things they are doing.  I also want to encourage you all to share your performance dates with Valerie and I so we can support you.  (I already know I will be at Clearfield High next Tuesday listening to the kids from Bluffridge Elementary sing their hearts out with their teacher Ann Caldwell...pictures to come!)


 
 I love these two pictures of Andrea Scanlon who teaches at Holt Elementary.  They show her love and enthusiasm for what she teaches and also her encouragement for the kids to sing their hearts out!

Also...these were right before she saw me snapping photos of her...lol!
 


At the end of the concert there was not a dry eye in the house, including Andrea and I .  I had to wipe my tears quickly because I though it very unprofessional of me to be crying like that...GEEZ!  I was so impressed with those sweet kids from Holt Elementary where the majority of those kids come from families who serve in the military, who may be stationed at Hill Air Force Base, who have come from many different places and speak different languages, yet came together to sing the most beautiful patriotic songs.  These songs are not taught enough with the emphasis needed and I was impressed as an educator to make an effort to do more with the songs of our nation.  Thanks, Andrea for inspiring me and touching my heart!




Saturday, after sitting through an indoor soccer game and cheering my guts out in my not so amazing Saturday attire, I ran over to the Kaysville Tabernacle to see Kimberly Graff and her Lincoln Elementary Choir.  They were dressed so nicely!  Everyone was in black and white.  I could tell they were nervous, but boy did they do awesome!  They opened their set with their school song, and a beautiful solo by one of the students.  Mrs. Graff accompanied them and it was fantastic.




 
Right before they started their school song, the soloist was very nervous and had her arms folded up in front of her.  I loved how Mrs. Graff gently touched her arms and helped her relax them and put them to her side.  It was a beautiful gesture from a teacher that simply said, "You got this.  I am here for you and you will be amazing." WOW!

The Lincoln Elementary Choir sang some very beautiful Christmas songs and you know what?  Mrs. Graff even had her son and one of her students accompany the choir on guitar while they sang Still, Still, Still.  (the picture didn't turn out...bummer!)
BUT....  I did get a recording of them singing My Favorite Things.  Click Here to listen.




Thanks for all you do, teachers to touch the lives of the kids you teach.  Thanks for giving them opportunities to grow and experience success in their young lives.  Not everyone will grow up to be a musician, but they will grow up to be great doctors, lawyers, engineers, dancers, teachers and parents because of what they learned in your music class!  Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment